Italian Style Swiss Chard and Beans with Orecchiette Pasta
1 large bunch Swiss chard, stems removed, and leaves sliced
½ pound of orecchiette pasta, or small pasta of your choice
1 small onion, diced
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, sliced thin
1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup of low sodium chicken broth
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- Rinse the Swiss chard and remove the stems. Chop the leaves into 1 inch pieces. Steam the leaves in a small amount of water for 2 minutes, then plunge into ice water to stop the cooking. Set aside.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Reserve ½ cup of the pasta cooking water.
- Saute the onion in the olive oil until translucent. Add the sliced garlic and cook and stir for 2 minutes longer.
- Add the chicken broth to the pan.
- Add the beans and cooked pasta and reserved pasta water.
- When everything is heated through, add the swiss chard. Cook for 2 minutes more.
- Pour the mixture into a large serving bowl, then top with the grated parmesan cheese.
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 351 Calories; 17g Fat (43.6% calories from fat); 17g Protein; 33g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 8mg Cholesterol; 652mg Sodium, Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 3 Fat. May 2017.
Recipe provided by: Shelby Langford, Vernon College Culinary Student