Roasted Brussel Sprouts
1 lb Brussel sprouts rinsed, outer leaves and ends removed, and halved
4 strips of bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 oz olive oil
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup apple juice
1/4 cup pomegranate juice
2 oz Parmesan cheese
2 oz pomegranate seeds
1. Preheat oven to 400° F
2. In a saute pan, over medium heat, render bacon pieces until crispy. Remove bacon from rendered fat and set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl add the brussel sprout halves and coat with the rendered bacon fat and olive oil. Toss ensuring each half is well coated.
4. Spread sprouts evenly on a sheet pan and bake for 35-40 minutes until the outsides are crispy and insides are tender. Remove from oven and season with salt and pepper.
5. For the gastrique, add the apple cider vinegar to the same pan used to cook the bacon. Over medium heat, deglaze the pan by scraping the bottom with a wooden spoon to incorporate any bacon sediments that may have stuck on. Add the brown sugar, apple juice, and pomegranate juice. Continue to cook and reduce until the sauce is thickened to a consistency similar to that of syrup.
6. Place sprouts in your favorite serving dish and drizzle the gastrique over them.
7. Garnish with crispy bacon, finely grated Parmesan cheese, and pomegranate seeds.